Holi means some mouth watering delicacies.Right?! So how about some #KesarGujjia and #KanjiVada? This #BhukkadsMarch we bring to you not one, but two delicious desi ghee preparations.
Ingredients for Kesar Gujiya
• 3 cups sugar powdered
• Mawa (khoya)/ milk powder 500 grams
• 3 teaspoon Desiccated coconut
• 30 gm Cashewnuts blanched and chopped
• 30 gm Almonds blanched and chopped.
• 30 gm pista
• 30 gm kishmish
• 10 gm Green cardamom powder
Ingredients for covering and chashani
• Refined flour (maida) 4 cups
• 1 kg Ghee for dough and frying
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Few strands of Saffron.
• 2 cup sugar
Ingredients for Kanji
• 2 litre Water
• 4 tsp Salt
• 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
• 5 tsp Amritsari Mustard (made into a coarse powder)
• 2 tablespoon mustard oil
Ingredients for Vada
• ½ cup Dhuli Moong Dal
• ½ cup Dhuli Urad Dal
• Salt (to taste)
• 2 tsp Green Chillies (chopped)
• 1 inch Ginger (chopped)
• Refined Oil (as required, for frying)
Ingredients for soaking
• ½ ltr Water
• ¼ tsp Hing
• ½ tsp Salt
Method for making Kanji:
1. Boil the water and let it cool for some time.
2. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mustard powder in the water.
3. Transfer the Kanji in a glass jar and cover the mouth of the jar with a muslin cloth.
4. Place the jar in the sun for 2-3 days for fermentation.
5. Bring the jar back inside at night and put it back again in the morning.
6. Shake the jar every day before keeping it in the sun.
7. The Kanji will turn slightly sour once it’s ready to consume.Always stir the kanji nicely before serving.
Method for vada
1. Wash and soak moong dal and urad dal in water for 5-6 hours.
2. Drain the water and add the dal in a grinder along with salt, chilli and ginger.
3. Add some water and grind to make a smooth batter.
4. The consistency of the batter should be like pakodi batter.
5. Whisk the batter well until it is very light and fluffy.
6. Heat oil for frying the vada.
7. When the oil is hot, drop small vada in hot oil and fry on low heat until browned.
8. Remove the vada from oil an keep aside.
1. Mix hing and salt in warm water.
2. When ready to serve, add vada in warm water and let them soak for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the vada from the water and press them to remove any excess watering them.
4. Pour kanji in serving bowls.
5. Add vada in the bowl and let them soak the kanji of 4-5 minutes.
6. Serve with gunjia to your guest on Holi
Method for Gunjia
1. Mash khoya and roast it in a deep pan on medium heat till pink.
2. Take off the heat and let it cool. Add all the other filling ingredients to the khoya and keep aside.
3. To prepare the covering, sieve flour and salt and rub in five tablespoons of ghee. Add enough water and knead into firm dough.
4. Cover it with a moist cloth and keep aside for fifteen minutes.
5. Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a small puri of four inches diameter.
6. Spread a puri on a greased gujiya mould and fill a tablespoon of the filling mixture on one side. Moisten the edges of the puri and fold one side of the mould over the other.
7. Press the edges and remove the excess dough and reuse.
8. Prepare all the gujiyas and spread on a damp cloth.
9. Heat sufficient ghee in a deep pan and deep-fry the gujiyas, in batches on medium heat, till golden brown.
10. Drain onto an absorbent paper. Cool and dip in kesar chashani for 3 minutes. Enjoy.