Today as part of our #BukkadsMarch we bring you some love from Lahore. A simple to prepare dal recipe the #LahoriDal is a dish inspired by the local Punjabi cuisine. Made with sabut masoor dal it’s one dish to enjoy with some hot butter or garlic naan.
1. Whole masoor dal 1 cup
2. Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
3. Salt as required
4. Green chilli 4 finely chopped
5. Coriander leaves a bunch chopped
6. Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
7. Onion 1 big finely chopped
8. Tomatoes 3 chopped
9. Ginger and garlic crushed 2-4 pods
10. Desi ghee
11. Garam masala
* Rinse the lentils with water. Pressure cook or cook on stove top with enough water – about 3 cups, until soft. Mash the dal till it is soft and almost all mashed up.
* Add the crushed garlic, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, thai green chilli and cream and mix well. Let it simmer till the dal thickens.
* Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small pan and add the cumin seeds. Once they start crackling, add the onions and garlic to it. Sauté till the onions become soft and translucent.
* Pour this mixture on to the dal and add enough salt.
* Switch off heat and squeeze half the lime over it. Drizzle the 2 tbsp cream over it as garnish once moved to a serving dish.